Antiquarian Books

Rare and antique books are my passion, I enjoy talking to others who love books and reading.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

To be a book-collector is to combine the worst characteristics of a dope fiend with those of a miser

To be a book-collector is to combine the worst characteristics of a dope fiend with those of a miser. Robertson Davies, "The Table Talk of Samuel Marchbanks"

One of my favorite quotes and true. What a book junkie I have became and did not even know, until I lost my mind at an auction last week. Spied two books that I wanted and was waiting to talk to the auctioneer about breaking out part of the lot when I looked over and realized that someone had beat me to the punch. I was furious I wanted those books. Strolled over to see what other books he had picked out, didn't care about them but really wanted those two books. Waited for the bidding to start it was not bad only 150.00, but then a third party jumped in and drove it up to 300.00 I went 325.00 the original guy went 500.00 and I had to stop could not top that bid.

Put a smile on and approached the winner to see if he would sell just the two books that I was interested in and he said sure for 200.00 each, I lost the smile and said no way. But this is when I knew that I had become the quote for thoughts of running him down in the parking lot and taking the books flashed thru my brain and stayed for awhile. Pulled myself together and went home without the books but it did give me pause. At some point I had crossed the line from being just a book collector to being a book junkie. People often ask me why I became a bookseller and I always answer to feed my habit. As to the miser part that goes without saying it is a constant game to find the books that I want for the least.

So what is the moral of this story, well being a book collector is an addiction but also interesting, fun and very worthwhile. Some mornings when the house is quiet I just sit and look at my books. I am in awe of the authors who wrote, the artists who illustrated and the bookbinders who assembled. Imagining who else sat and read the book who were they, how they lived and did they love the book as much as I do. Collecting can be whatever you want it to be; I work with a woman who collects editions of The Little Prince different languages and editions another who collects all forms of Mark Twain. Come visit www.pecantreebooks.com, look around and see what you can become addicted to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Finding college scholarship grants information is a difficult process. Thanks for helping others find more information about college scholarship grants.

Davecollege scholarship grants

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home